This course enables delegates to develop a practical understanding of how to teach and support learners with dyslexia to learn to read and access the written word efficiently and effectively.
Registrants can attend this course as a ‘stand-alone’ or as part of a 6-session suite of dyslexia training which includes the sessions below and an online Dyslexia Surgery on 9th May where Katrina Cochrane will offer further support with programme planning and review.
You can also achieve a Level 3 Accreditation by signing up to the Dyslexia Level 3 Accreditation Programme which will require attendance at:
Session 1: Practical Solutions for Dyslexia
Session 2: Practical Solutions Plus - Reading
Session 3: Practical Solutions Plus – Spelling
Session 4: Practical Solutions Plus – Writing
Session 5: Screening for Dyslexia and Creating a Programme for a Child
To qualify, delegates must complete a workbook after attending all six sessions.
Further information about qualifying for level 3 accreditation will be covered in Practical Solutions for Dyslexia and at the end of Practical Solutions Plus – Spelling.
Why should I attend?
This course will enable you to:
understand the process of learning to read.
develop an understanding of why dyslexia learners have problems with reading.
develop a deeper understanding of how to support the teaching and learning of reading to learners with dyslexia.
Our suite of Dyslexia training is delivered by Katrina Cochrane, founder of Positive Dyslexia, a bronze organisational member of the British Dyslexia Association (BDA).
Katrina is a specialist dyslexia teacher and trainer with over 20 years’ experience in the field. She was previously the Head of Education, Assessment and Policy for the BDAwhere she still works as an Associate Trainer. She is also the editor ofDyslexia Friendly Schools Good Practice Guide and the author of Understanding and Managing Dyslexia for Dummies.
The average evaluation score for her dyslexia training in B&D in 2021-22 was 4.5 out of 5 with all delegates indicating that they would recommend the sessions to a colleague.
What will the course cover?
- What is involved in the process of learning to read?
- Why do dyslexia learners have problems with reading?
- How to teach phonological awareness and phonics to support learners with dyslexia.
- How to teach basic reading skills.
- The difficulties involved in reading single words in the English language, from common irregulars to multi-syllabic vocabulary.
- The role of syllabification, morphology, chunking and word derivation in tackling longer words and how to teach these skills.
- The difficulties with reading comprehension faced by learners with dyslexia.
- Strategies for supporting reading comprehension.
- Strategies for high level reading, skimming, scanning and active reading to support learners with dyslexia to access the written word efficiently.
Who should attend?
- ARP Lead
- Teaching Assistant
- Learning Support Assistant
Pay as You Go - £100
CPD Package - No charge
Booking confirmation including access information and important pre-course information will be sent to you upon booking.
Please check your junk inbox if you do not receive your booking confirmation and ensure you mark the sender as safe to enable you to receive any further pre-course information or changes.
For specific enquiries about this course, please contact Hannah.Hamid@bdsip.co.uk
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk