Speech and Language Therapy Partnership with Words First
Enabling schools to develop outstanding provision for speech, language, literacy and communication needs.
BDSIP are delighted to continue to work in partnership with Words First to provide a high-quality team of qualified and registered Speech and Language Therapists (SaLTs) to our schools. Words First have a proven track record of success in schools across London and nationally, offering an approach which integrates spoken and written communication to help bridge the gap between speaking and writing. Through 15 years’ research and practice, they have created the Reading and Language Circuit Model™, which provides the framework for their approach in primary and secondary schools. Their unique assessment battery will rapidly and accurately identify any breakdown in the areas of processing that need to be intact for fluent reading and comprehension, ensuring their intervention is sensitive to the underlying problem.
Focusing on your school priorities, Words First will:
- Provide eight hours of Speech and Language Therapy time per day purchased
- Provide an agreed number of assessments using Words First’s proven Language and Literacy battery
- Provide support with Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) applications
- Provide student information sheets for parents and teachers which provide a snapshot of the student’s strengths, weaknesses and learning needs, including classroom management strategies
- Develop individualised programmes for an agreed number of students
- Facilitate small group interventions, grouping students according to need using the Reading and Language Circuit Model
- Teaching assistant training and supervision to deliver Words First intervention programmes
- Access to all the Words First resources including Engagement with Language™ for Processing Speed and Receptive Language Difficulties, ChatterTots™ and Sound Smart™
- Work with your school to embed speech, language and communication (SLCN) principles into your curriculum
- Offer onsite staff training and professional development
- Run parent coffee mornings or workshops
- Deliver six-monthly impact reports and case studies to evaluate how your money has been spent
- Provide clinical supervision for your Speech and Language Therapist in line with the recommendations from the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.
£13,650 for one day per week (38 visits)
£6,825 for one day every other week (19 visits)
Discount available when buying multiple days in a group of four or more schools – please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Continue to browse through our entire service offer here.
Once you have decided on the packages you require visit our purchasing page here.
“Words First is, without doubt, the best SEND intervention we have in the school. The significant impact that our Words First Speech and Language Therapist is having on the children and on the staff is something we never anticipated, and now we simply would not be able to meet the needs of our SEND pupils without it.
The challenge for us has always been how to support pupils to generalise what they have learnt in interventions back into the classroom. We were disappointed with the traditional Speech and Language model for this reason, but also because it was not addressing the obvious literacy difficulties which many of our SLCN pupils were having. With our SaLT working alongside teachers and teaching assistants we have seen the quality of their practice and their understanding of the children’s needs increase and it continues to develop. We feel we are going from strength to strength and that there is more to come.
We believe this is the future for speech and language therapy in schools and would not hesitate to recommend the team to anyone considering getting on board.”
Claire Muccio, Deputy Head and SENCO, Southborough Primary School, Bromley
Once you have decided on the Service Offers you require please visit our Service Offer Purchasing page and use the form provided to let us know.
Once we have received your request a member of our team will be in touch with a full price and/or to answer any queries.
Contact us for more information
©2018 Barking and Dagenham School Improvement Partnership.