What is NASENCo?
This National Award for SEN is through a partnership between Barking and Dagenham and the University of East London (UEL). This mandatory accredited course for new SENCOs is being run locally as a collaboration between Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Thurrock, Brent, Barnet and Harrow local authorities.
Each module consists of six whole days plus an extra twilight for module 1 and 2. Module one is completed in the Autumn term and module two in the Summer term. The course is accredited by The University of East London and all credits gained are transferable to other courses both at UEL and other universities.
The National Award for SEN Coordination is a mandatory Level 7 qualification for all SENCOs new to the role in educational settings. On completion candidates are awarded the NASENCO Award through the University of East London, which is the equivalent to a third of a Masters degree. Delivered over two modules the first is a 5000-word assignment, followed by a portfolio of evidence to be completed.
Why study with BDSIP and the University of East London?
As a participant, you will work with other Sencos based locally. Both modules are based on Practitioner Research as and such you will explore current issues in your school or setting, problem solving these with your colleagues. Module two includes a Learning Walk where you will visit other schools as part of your evidence gathering for your chosen research topic.
The course is delivered by Christine Richmond who has over fifteen years’ experience as a Deputy Head at an outstanding school in Harrow, and additional extensive experience supporting schools as a SEND and Inclusion Consultant.
What the NASENCO course offers:
- You will be supported by experienced practicing SEND and Inclusion specialists through the course.
- You have the opportunity to choose from two cohorts in the East and North of London.
- You will have academic support for your written assignment and portfolio from a highly experienced practitioner.
- You will have opportunities to build your network with other SENCOs.
- You are invited join the virtual professional network of SENCOs, integrating both new and experienced at free events hosted by BDSIP.