Early Literacy Skills Programme
Schools need to register their interest for this training and dates will be scheduled. To register your interest, please email CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk.
- The course costs £1,560 for one delegate.
- There is an additional charge of £500 per delegate from the same school.
- Schools will receive a 50% discount on Engage Literacy books to support the programme.
Grafton Reading Recovery Centre
Grafton Primary School
The Early Literacy Skills Programme (ELSP) is a wave 2 literacy intervention for six-year-olds who are not at age-related expectations in reading, writing and phonics. It will enable pupils to catch up with their peers and reach age-expected levels within 10 – 20 weeks of daily, intensive, one-to-one intervention.
In 2021-22, the ELSP saw an average 12 Benchmark Levels progress in an average 79 twenty-minute sessions across all children receiving intervention as part of the training programme. All children passed the phonics screening.
Louise Harding, Literacy Intervention Lead and Reading Recovery Teacher Trainer, will lead high quality literacy training for TAs and will also:
- quality assure the delivery of the programme to ensure impact
- manage assessments using the PM Benchmark Kits
- provide data tracking for school leaders to monitor impact
- offer bespoke support and additional training to meet the needs of each school.
Why should I attend?
You are a Teaching Assistant who has experience of working in KS1 and a passion for improving children’s literacy skills.
The course will help you:
- develop your understanding of children’s learning and early literacy acquisition.
- learn skills to assess and overcome children’s literacy learning barriers.
- become reflective of teaching decisions and their impact on children’s learning in reading and writing.
- learn how to develop and use a gradient of challenge in text reading to support progress in reading.
- understand how to engage parents in supporting literacy at home.
You will be provided with:
- Three half-days of support to understand the assessment processes needed for the intervention.
- Twenty half-days of professional development to support your delivery of the intervention.
- Six scheduled support visits to your school. These provide intensive, individual support and help the school management team to develop an effective and efficient implementation.
- Additional remote support available as needed.
What will the course cover?
The Early Literacy Skills programme will prepare attendees to:
- carry out detailed diagnostic assessments and observations of literacy learning;
- take and analyse running records;
- understand children’s learning and early literacy acquisition
- assess and overcome children’s literacy barriers
- become reflective of teaching decisions and their impact on children’s learning in reading and writing
- learn how to develop and use a gradient of challenge in text reading to support progress in reading
- achieve accelerated progress in writing
- be an expert for the school for diagnostic assessment of literacy
- work with parents to understand and support their child’s development.
Who should attend?
- Teaching Assistant
- Learning Support Assistant
Schools will need to register their interest for this course. When there are sufficient registrations, course dates will be scheduled.
To register your interest, please email CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk.
For specific enquiries about this course, please contact Louise.Harding@bdsip.co.uk
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk