This is an information session for secondary SENCOs where BDSIP and the CU London, Widening Participation Team will launch a very exciting programme of activities aimed at our most vulnerable young people, including those with SEMH identified as a primary need.
BDSIP is working in partnership with CU London to bring an exciting aspirations programme to secondary schools in Barking and Dagenham.
This is the launch event for the programme where SENCOs can find out more about the programme, ask questions and help to shape the events that CU will run for the academic year 2022-23.
The Aspirations Programme is targeted specifically at our most vulnerable young people, including those with SEMH identified as a primary need, and their families with the aim of:
- raising awareness of post-16 education to support young people to see a link between what they do now and opportunities for success in adulthood.
- supporting young people to see themselves in an HE context.
- providing opportunities for young people to experience subject-specific masterclasses delivered by academics and CU Student Ambassadors.
- providing opportunities for young people to get a better understanding of the HE experience.
- delivering impartial advice to support the individual’s journey into further education and beyond, relevant to the their own circumstances and ambitions for the future.
- raising the awareness of local residents of education opportunities available to them at CU London, both in Dagenham and at other campuses.
Depending on school interest in the programme, annual planned activities may include:
- An Introduction to Higher Education evening for students and their families which will include dinner and an opportunity to meet with staff from the university to find out more about what’s on offer.
- A full day visit for students to sample what’s on offer at CU London in Dagenham.
- A full day visit to CU Greenwich and CU Liverpool Street where young people will plan the trip for themselves with support from the Widening Participation Team. At Liverpool Street, there will be an opportunity to experience the ‘trading floor’ and fashion and hospitality facilities. After a roof top lunch, the young people will then have the opportunity to visit CU Greenwich before riding the cable car and taking a boat trip down the Thames to make their way back to Dagenham
- A full day visit to CU Vauxhall to sample masterclasses in nursing, physiotherapy and paramedic science.
- A visit to Coventry University by coach (organised by CU London) to visit the main campus and participate in masterclasses.
- A residential visit to CU Scarborough where young people will participate in masterclasses and meet student ambassadors, as well as sampling what the local area has to offer.
All activities will be free of charge to schools.
A networking breakfast will be served from 8:30am. Please ensure that you identify any dietary requirements.
Car parking is available but please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk with your registration so we can organise a permit.
Who should attend?
- Senior Leader
Cost: No charge. This event is funded by CU London
Booking confirmation including access information and important pre-course information will be sent to you upon booking.
Please check your junk inbox if you do not receive your booking confirmation and ensure you mark the sender as safe to enable you to receive any further pre-course information or changes.
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk