This course is one half day of training for experienced TAs that have had experience of guided reading within the classroom. The programme aims to close the attainment gap in reading for children that are up to 6 months below their reading age. It uses an instructional approach to help students improve their reading skills.
Why should I attend?
You are a Teaching Assistant who has experience of guided reading and a passion for improving children’s literacy skills.
This course will help you:
- understand the principles and practice of small group reading, the role of the TA, and matching the book to the needs of the child
- understand different reading strategies and teaching reading through the use of prompts
- use the reading continuum to make informed book selection both for purpose and for learning objective.
You will also be provided with termly visits from Louise Harding to help with selecting children and additional benchmark training if required
What will the course cover?
The course will cover:
- the structure of a small group reading lesson
- how to create groups using assessment
- how to review individual progress
- rationales and practices for appropriate text selection
- how to support reading for pleasure
- how to engage with parents to support reading at home.
Who should attend?
- Teaching Assistant
Pay as You Go -
CPD Package - No charge
Booking confirmation including access information and important pre-course information will be sent to you upon booking.
Please check your junk inbox if you do not receive your booking confirmation and ensure you mark the sender as safe to enable you to receive any further pre-course information or changes.
For specific enquiries about this course, please contact Louise Harding
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk