The course examines Phase 5 Phonics and considers the teaching and learning that children need in the early stages of their reading lives and as they begin to become more confident readers. A Course for teachers to develop their subject knowledge and teaching pedagogy to deliver the phonics curriculum effectively.
Why should I attend?
- To develop understanding of phonics teaching for children who are growing readers, exploring how to move children onwards into greater confidence and into the spelling curriculum
What will the course cover?
- Understand the importance of phonic and spelling development, providing meaningful activities to support this in your setting
- Clarify subject knowledge around the terminology related to phonics and spelling teaching.
- Know the expectations related to the pace and progression of learning in Phase 5
- Discuss the Phonics Screening test
- Receive guidance for the teaching of synthetic phonics and spelling through the lesson sequence.
- Explore strategies for teaching high frequency words
- Learn how to move children into reading and spelling fluency
- Become familiar with the complex phonics code and investigative approaches for helping children to understand patterns for spelling
- Explore activities to move children from phonics to the spelling rules and expectations for Years 1 and 2
- Investigate the essential elements of practice and the classroom environment that enable children to become confident readers and writers
Who should attend?
- Teaching Assistant
Pay as You Go - £65.00
CPD Package - No charge
Booking confirmation including access information and important pre-course information will be sent to you upon booking.
Please check your junk inbox if you do not receive your booking confirmation and ensure you mark the sender as safe to enable you to receive any further pre-course information or changes.
For specific enquiries about this course, please contact Nicola Wix at firstname.lastname@example.org
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk