This is a two-session course (two full days) - participants must attend both sessions.
Essential requirement: both the PHAB2 Complete Set £180 and YARC Complete Set of assessment materials £274 (primary or secondary as appropriate) must be purchased in advance of the course (if not already in school) and brought along to the first session.
They are available from GL Assessment: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0330 123 5375
Why should I attend?
- To provides an awareness and understanding of dyslexia
- To gain specialist knowledge and practical skills relevant to your work with children in school.
- You will learn the basics of how plan a programme of dyslexia friendly teaching support for individual children
What will the course cover?
Session 1 (full day)
- Theory and definition of Dyslexia
- Instruction in using assessment materials for analysing a dyslexic profile (e.g. YARC/PHAB) and additional information required
- Gap task: use assessment materials and additional information to assess two children with potential dyslexic tendencies
N.B. Attendees must bring along a pen portrait of one pupil and two or three samples of work, e.g. writing
Session 2 (full day)
This session will cover the analysis of the gap task and guidance in meeting the needs of children with a dyslexic profile - principles and content of successful intervention.
- To provide selected school staff with knowledge around dyslexia/persistent literacy difficulties
- To promote confidence in the identification of pupils with dyslexia/persistent literacy difficulties
- To promote confidence in using informal assessment tools (YARC/PHAB)
- To promote confidence in producing a base-line and setting targets for identified pupils
- To provide school staff with the knowledge and resources for providing positive classroom provision with identified pupils
- To give school staff the tools to measure the progress of identified pupils
Who should attend?
Special Needs Teacher
NB (this course is not suitable for Teaching Assistants unless they are accompanied by a SENCO).
Teaching Assistant but only if accompanied by a SENCO
BDSIP Members – pay as you go £400
Non BDSIP members – pay as you go £500
CPD Package No charge
Schools outside of LBBD – pay as you go £500
Booking confirmation including access information and important pre-course information will be sent to you upon booking.
Please check your junk inbox if you do not receive your booking confirmation and ensure you mark the sender as safe to enable you to receive any further pre-course information or changes.
For specific enquiries about this course, please contact Pauline Drew email@example.com
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact CPDEvents@bdsip.co.uk