This is a two-day intensive training course in Dyslexia, led by Julie Hobday (Assistant Head at Hunters Hall Primary School) and Annette Rose (SENCO/Inclusion Manager/Assistant Head at John Perry Primary School).
- Participants must attend both sessions.
- Both the PHAB2 Complete Set and YARC Complete Set of assessment materials (primary or secondary as appropriate) must be purchased in advance of the course (if not already in school) and brought along to the first session. See purchasing details below.
- Please bring along a pen portrait of one pupil and two or three samples of work, e.g. writing.
Why should I attend?
- To provide selected school staff with knowledge around dyslexia/persistent literacy difficulties
- To promote confidence in the identification of pupils with dyslexia/persistent literacy difficulties
- To promote confidence in using informal assessment tools (YARC/PHAB)
- To promote confidence in producing a baseline and setting targets for identified pupils
- To provide school staff with the knowledge and resources for providing positive classroom provision with identified pupils
- To give school staff the tools to measure the progress of identified pupils
What will it cover?
Session 1 (full day) 21 January 2020
This session will cover:
- Theory and definition of Dyslexia
- Instruction in using assessment materials for analysing a dyslexic profile (e.g. YARC/PHAB).
- use assessment materials and additional information to assess two children with potential dyslexic tendencies
Session 2 (full day) 10 March 2020
This session will cover:
- Analysis of the gap task and guidance in meeting the needs of children with a dyslexic profile – principles and content of successful intervention.
Who should go?
- SEND Teachers
- This course is not suitable for Teaching Assistants unless they are accompanied by a SENCO or another existing teacher in the school has previously attended the course
There will be no charge for any schools attending this course.
(You must purchase the PHAB2 Complete Set and YARC Complete Set of assessment materials before attending the training.)
Speech and Language Base, Hunters Hall Primary School, Outreach Service, Alibon Road, Dagenham, RM10 8DE
You must have purchased the PHAB2 Complete Set and YARC Complete Set of assessment materials (if you don’t already have them in school) to bring along to the first session.
They are available to buy from GL Assessment:
YARC Complete Set: follow the link to purchase
PHAB2 Complete Set: follow the link to purchase
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0330 123 5375
Lunch will not be provided.
If you can’t attend, or if a colleague will be attending in your place, please inform us as soon as you can before the event.
Who to contact
For specific enquiries about this course, please contact the course coordinator, Pauline Drew, at: email@example.com
For general booking or CPD enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org